WHO WE ARE
The Lewes Board of Public Works was established on March 15, 1901 by an Act of the Delaware General Assembly. The term “Board of Public Works” refers to the “Governing” Board of Public Works. This is an elected body of five “Board” members as well as the administrative, planning and service delivery agency which functions to provide the services that were enumerated in the 1901 legislation. The Board Members stand for election every three years by the customers of the BPW which includes the City of Lewes as well as the outlying areas that are also serviced by the BPW.
In 2021 the Delaware State Legislature approved an updated Lewes BPW Charter (Lewes BPW – City of Lewes Charter). This document governs the operations of the Lewes BPW and was the foundational document for the Lewes BPW Bylaws.