- A qualified voter who is a resident for at least three hundred sixty-five (365) days next preceding the date of the Annual Election for Directors of the Board.
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age on the date of the annual election for Directors of the Board.
- No member of the City Council or Mayor may serve concurrently on the Board and as Mayor or City Councilperson.
- Disqualification. If any Director during his or her term of office shall be found guilty of any crime or misdemeanor and sentenced to imprisonment for any term whatever or shall for any reason cease to be a resident, freeholder or leaseholder of the City, he or she shall forthwith be disqualified to act as Director, and his or her office shall be deemed vacant and shall be filled as aforesaid.
Voter registration can be done throughout the year starting the day after an election until designated date prior to current election. For the 2024 election, the last day of voter registration is April 26, 2024 at 4:30 p.m. The Voter Registration Form can be submitted in person at the Lewes BPW office at 107 Franklin Ave, or via email, email@example.com . A copy of your Driver’s license or valid identification must be provided.
Qualifications for voters:
- Residents that currently live at an address and are served by the Lewes BPW for at least 30 days prior to the date of the annual election are eligible to vote.
- Non-residents that do not live in Lewes must show proof that that they own property or name is on the BPW account for at least 30 days prior to the date of the annual election are eligible to vote.
- Others that are outside the city limits and who are a customer of any available utility of the Lewes BPW for at least 30 days prior to the date of the annual election are eligible to vote.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age on the date of the election to vote.
February 16, 2024– Election Rolls will be reviewed for move outs, deaths, and procedure review. Election rolls will be updated weekly on Fridays by 4:00pm.
April 4, 2023– Last day for candidates to file.
April 9, 2024– Absentee ballots are available for request.
April 13 or 20, 2024 – Open for Voter Registration 9:00 a.m. to NOON (Will follow City of Lewes)
April 26, 2024 – Last day for voter registration
Review of the Final Election Roll. Comparison of printed electronic copy to hard copy of all registered voters.
April 26, 2024– Appointment by the president of the Board of an Elections Inspector and 2 judges. (2.9.1 Regular meeting prior to election)
May 10, 2024 – If voting by absentee ballot, the voter must pick up affidavits and ballots by noon and returned to the BPW office by May 13,2023 at 6:00 p.m.
May 11, 2024 – Election Day.
By June 1, 2024 – Certified letter notifying registered voters who have not voted in the last 2 consecutive elections of being removed from the registered voter roll.